Sunday 5 May 2013

Quilt Show madness

BQF, the wee man and I headed off to a quilt show in Parnell today. We had a lovely juvely time. The problem we face is how expensive these things are. It's not so much the $5 entrance fee as the lovely new linen/cotton Japanese fabrics, Riley Blake Christmas prints and 1950s vintage inspired range that hit the wallet. And then a lovely lunch. And then a little bit of a trip to Spotlight to get the rest of the bits and bobs for BQF's next quilty endeavour. Where I might have got a new book and some backing. Sheesh. Are there special groups for people like us?

Me: "Hi, I'm Liz and I'm a fabric addict. I've been clean from buying fabric for 3 days now".
Group: *applause* "Hi Liz, well done".

Anyhow, here are some highlights from the show. These are not so much pieces I would make myself as original or inspiring! The photo quality is shocking and the light was terrible, so bear with me.

First up is an appliqué piece by a lady called Rosemary Rush. It is called Feathered Friends. It is her own design and used hand dyed and commercial fabrics. I was particularly taken by the gorgeous quilting. The colours were fresh and lovely, although it doesn't show through so much in the photo.

Next is a gorgeous little house which was originally a quilt book. It was inspired by women of strength and has embroidery, inspirational quotes and printed images. Helen Harford made this.

The butterfly quilt was hand pieced and hand quilted by Gail Moore for her daughter's 21st birthday - out of reproduction 1930s prints her daughter had collected. A beautiful girlie quilt which must have been a labour of love. It was huge.

I loved the little scifi inspired quilt. I forgot to get the quilter's details, but I remember that it was inspired by her brother's love of all things science fiction. The photo doesn't begin to do justice to how quirky and cute this was.

Finally, the handsome fellow at the end has popped over from BQF's place. That's Roger. He says meow and wonders why his mummy hasn't made him his own quilt. Bad mummy.













1 comment:

Sara said...

I have yet to go to a quilt show so it was fun reading your post! Pretty kitty btw;)