Monday 4 February 2013

The not really a quilt baby quilt

So I have grand plans to go back to beginning of my quilting journey and share all the exciting things I have learned since I started (including what fabrics NOT to put together for your first quilt - but that's for another day).

But already I am thwarted. Why, you ask? Because I have managed to get distracted with yet another project. Don't tell my mother though - she thinks I'm working on a quilt for her. But it's for a good cause. My hubby's friends had a wee boy a few weeks back and are having a BBQ this weekend to celebrate him reaching 6 weeks and Chinese New Year. I don't have time to make a 'real' quilt, so have a plan to make a quick and cute baby blanket. I was inspired by some baby quilts I saw in a posh Ponsonby shop over the Christmas holidays (with posh Ponsonby prices). My mother was oohing and aahhing over these quilts - which were just bound pieces of a single fabric with free motion quilting. I snorted and told her in no uncertain terms that they were not real quilts, because they weren't pieced. But they WERE cute.

Fast forward to Sunday, when I was off at Spotlight trying not to buy the entire range of $6 p metre fabrics. They had some cute Classic Nursery fabric left, and a red polka dot. I got 1.5m of each main fabric, some spots for the binding and called it a deal. At home I pieced together some scraps of low loft cotton batting (overlap by a mm or so, and zigzag the hell out of it) for the batting and used one fabric on each side of the quilt. I ended up with a basted quilt approx 1m by 1.5m. I am simply straight line quilting across the quilt to give it some texture (masking tape is my friend), and then will call it a day. My free motioning quilting skills aren't yet up to speed for anything flash, and, to be honest, I don't have time for anything more complex. Hopefully it will look cute and be useful. The idea is that it can be thrown in the washing machine regularly and used on the floor or as a cot blankie.

You can give me your verdict when it's finished. In the meantime, here's the fabric. Sweet, eh!



No comments: