Saturday 23 November 2013

Super simple baby quilt one: finished

I have to say, putting together a little to-do list last weekend was very good at focussing my attention on getting things done.  I was going to tell you all about my finished zipper pouch for Princess today, but instead thought I would show you the little baby quilt which is all done.

You may remember I have decided to put together a few super simple baby quilts.  This is so that I can use some stash fabric, get some projects finished in between the big things, try some patterns I have never got around to putting together, and practise some free motion quilting.  Then when I'm finished, I will have a pile of baby quilts to give away next time someone is preggo.

The good news for you is that if you are new to quilting and want to start, these will be perfect for you (or if you're not new but want a quick project!).

Here is the first quilt all finished.  It measures approximately 42.5" x 48".  Materials were one Heather Ross Briar Rose charm pack (42 squares of fabric 5" square), about a metre of plain white quilting cotton for the sashing, a 1/4m of fabric for binding and some pink fluffy candlewick for the backing.  Because of the fluffy backing, I didn't use batting (saves money, saves time basting!).

Look at those little quilted flowers (deliberately a naive design, you know).

Princess and I went out to take photos for you this morning before the sun came out properly.  She tried to be helpful and hold it up.  Yeah - that didn't work.

Then we put it down to look at it.  You can see that to make it, you lay out the charm squares in a pattern you like.  This is the bit where you need to pay attention.  Your quilt can look completely different depending on the layout you use.  You could be totally scrappy and try and balance the colours across the quilt.  Or you could put them in strips of colour.  Or you could shade light to dark on the diagonal, like I did.  Or anything else that takes your fancy.  You're the creative genius, after all.

The charms were then sewn together in rows with strips of white sashing cut 2.5" wide (finished width 2").

One Briar Rose charm pack baby quilt

We got bored and went and looked at the flowers.

I loooove the pink flowers Mummy.

Moby the Siamese came over to see what was going on.

Moby - one of a pair.  His chocolate point brother is Toby.  Hubby picked the names.

Then we officially gave up and hung it on the washing line.  In the top photo you can see the little flowers I quilted in the corners of the sashing, in between the straight-line quilting.  Do you like the strawberry binding?

And here is the pink candlewick.  After I basted the quilt front and the back together with pins, I did all the straight line quilting one way, starting from the centre.  I quilted 1/4" in from the charm squares on the white sashing.  I then did the same the other way.  (If you are wondering how to stop puckering with straight line quilting, this helps - as well as good basting)  This stabilised the backing fabric nicely before I quilted the little flowers.  I drew the flowers on with a purple disappearing marker and then quilted over the top.  This meant the flowers were a nice consistent size.  However I noticed my stitch regulator foot for FMQ is skipping stitches.  I think it needs a visit to the quilting foot doctor. Naughty.

Quilt back.  Did you figure that out yourself?
At this point we all got distracted and went to check on the tomatoes.  We noticed that hubby bought pale pink fabric ties for the toms.  Princess approved.

Look at those babies grow - and from seeds too. I'm a proud tomato mummy.

And then went to pick some flowers.  Photo session over.

I need to keep this photo to look at during tantrum time.  Little heartbreaker!

Princess told me so.

Mummy put the camera down.  Sheesh.

Are you all having a great weekend?  The weather here is awesome, warm and springlike.  I'm linking up to link parties at Crazy Mom, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and TGIFF.  Howdy everyone!


9 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great post. Cute baby quilt, green thumb, and such a cute daughter...:)

Glinda ♥ said...

Love the quilt, the colours, the quilting, the backing - don't love the glorious afternoon sunshine - dark wintry nights here in London :(

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Love the way you did the layout. With so many choices in a charm pack, how does one ever really know what they want ?~! Some days i can't decide anything...

Yes, that little brunette will be a heat-breaker when she dates but long before that, your heart... well. buy tissues. And maybe stock in a tissue company.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

It may be super simple, but your color layout rocks!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Lisa said...

I love your layout soooo much. A divine quilt - truly divine!!!

Paula said...

A really beautiful finish. I love your colour layout, it really makes the quilt.

Laura said...

Love that fabric line. You've done a great job!!!

Leonie said...

It's super lovely Liz! I adore the wee flowers in the middle - I seriously need to invest in a disappearing ink pen for lots of reasons! Beautiful weekend wasn't it? Hope the week is off to a great start :)

hydeeannsews said...

the garden is looking so inviting! what wonderful weather you're having.

I love, love, love the flower details to the quilting! super adorable. such a nice touch.

the simplicity of this quilt is wonderful. yes, I love the strawberry binding - excellent choice! i'm still loving the almost ombre-like layout for your squares. how hip of you to do ombre!

is candlewick like minky? i'm thinking we use a different term for it here. or maybe i'm just plain ignorant!