Tuesday 22 April 2014

Shush makes a Tilda princess make-up bag

Sometimes I'm last to the party.  That's just how it is.  One example of this is my recent discovery of Tilda.  Yes, I know, I must be the last person in bloggy crafty land who didn't know about Tilda.  In fact I would still be oblivious if Kristyne hadn't recently featured the book 'Tilda's Fairy Tale Wonderland' on her blog. Thanks to the quick shopping from the Book Depository, I've now been pretty much sucked into the vortex that is all things Tildaness.


Although I would love to make the princess and the pea on the cover, I first need to source a little doll's bed.  In the meantime, the princess make-up bag was an essential.  I did change it up a bit though - I decided to add interfacing, and change the construction of the purse so that the zip was fully hidden.  I also made it a smidgen bigger - which is relative, because it's still tiny.


The exterior is a cute butterfly fabric I snaffled in a de-stash recently. I used some hot pink Kaffe fabric for the lining, and a matching hot pink zip.  I also thought it was a good opportunity to use one of my little crocheted violets, made following a craft day at Spotlight one Saturday morning last month.


I added some little notions to the inside, because this seemed like the perfect opportunity to get a pay-it-forward project finished.  I have three to do after signing up with Renee at Quilts of a Feather earlier this year.  Although it's not in the photo, there was also some teeny Whittaker's Easter chocolate and a wee manicure set that was too cute to leave at the shop.


I have to confess that I forgot the little side tag.  I'll add that to the next one.
 

And in case you were wondering what I was given in my pay it forward gift, here it is.  Renee did the most amazing paper pieced feather.  I would sooooo love to do a whole quilt of these.  That can go on my quilting bucket list!  She also made a gorgeous little zipper pouch for Princess, which has been swiped and filled with (even more) little treasures.  Lucky monkey.


I ummed and ahhhed about whether to take it to work or not.  In the end it has been put in pride of place on the china cupboard in the entrance way. It even matches the art work we have on the wall.  It was meant to be!

I will be linking up this week to Show and Tell, Needle and Thread Thursday and Crazy Mom Quilts.  Howdy visitors!

14 comments:

Tilkunviilaaja said...

This pouch is lovely! The butterflies are perfectly positioned in both the straight and the pouch part. I admire you.

DeborahGun said...

so now I am enlightened! It really looks a beautiful book!

Leeanne said...

Lovely wee pouch! I like the pieced feather too. Nice to find another Kiwi blogging quilter!

Ruth said...

Very pretty, love the crochet flower.

Glinda ♥ said...

Lovely little bag. Cute butterfly fabric, Liz - don't suppose you know it's name? My mum's visiting at the moment and she crotchets ... hmmmmm, I wonder if she can show me how to do a flower :)

Cat said...

Oh I do love Tilda so very very much and have been eyeing up the princess and the pea for my wee diva for a while now - maybe her birthday coming up is the perfect excuse

Mokki said...

Your pouch is lovely. I love the fabrics you've used. I love tilda stuff, I have some tilda fabric waiting to be made into a purse in my stash box

suemac said...

Those little bags are just adorable.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Love everything Tilda and your purse looks great :D

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

The pouch is gorgeous. I like your choice of fabric--soft and delicate looking--and the crocheted flower indeed matches the colors of the butterflies. Beautiful work!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

pretty little pouch, and that feather looks awesome as well! Of course it was meant to be!

Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Leonie said...

Love Tilda and your little bag is perfection! That book is gorgeous isnt it...i have a copy too and have made a couple of gooodies in it... Princess and the pea... Def in my list too! And that feather is gorgeous!!

yarn and pencil said...

Lol! I'm new to Tilda too. I love your little bag and the fabric is prefect :-)
Tracey xx

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

That feather is dynamite looking. I love the color selection. The pouch is cute, too, but my heart went pitty-pat for that feather